To view the data collected please visit: Elland Air Quality Data
About this Amateur Science Station:
This monitoring station is located in Elland, near Halifax. Which is part of Calderdale, West Yorkshire.
The station is located on top of one of the local tower blocks, approximately 20 metres above the ground.
There is a lot of fuss being made about pollution and air quality but there is very little data available.
I have created this independent monitoring station to try and learn what the facts are – in the spirit science.
This station is equipped to measure:
- CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) levels in Parts Per million (ppm),
- PM2.5 (particulate matter of 2.5 microns in diameter) levels micrograms per Square Metre (ug/m3),
- PM10 (particulate matter of 10 microns in diameter) levels in micrograms per Square Metre (ug/m3),,
- Temperature in Celsius (‘C),
- Humidity in Percent (%),
- Barometric Pressure in Millibars (hPa),
- Beta, Gamma and X-Ray radiation in micro sieverts per hour(uSv/h) and counts per minute (CPM).
I’ve no idea what the data will show, but finding things out is truly what amateur science is all about.
All the sensors are commercially available sensors. The Manufacturer of the particle sensors warns that readings when humidity is extremely high are likely to be incorrect (showing very high). I.e. When there is significant fog. All data will be published on this website is done so automatically as it is collected by the data recorder. Please take this manufacturer warning into consideration when looking at pollution levels.
Sensors are inside a custom made weatherproof enclosure on the north side of the roof, the enclosure gets almost no direct sunlight, except in the height of summer where the sun reaches it for about 30 mins before setting, this may impact temperature readings at that time.
The equipment being used is:
ECOWITT WH45 Air Quality Sensor Array:
|PM 2.5||0~999ug/m3||>100ug/m3, ±15%<100ug/m3, ±15ug/m3||1ug/m3|
|PM 10||0~999ug/m3||>100ug/m3, ±25%<100ug/m3, ±25ug/m3||1ug/m3|
|CO2||0- 40000ppm||0-1000ppm ±50ppm>1000ppm ±5%||1ppm|
|Temperature||-40°C – 60°C (-40°F – 140°F)||± 1°C, or ± 2°F||0.1°C, or 0.1°F|
ECOWITT GW1100 Weather Station Internet Gateway:
Temperature range: -10°C – 60°C (14°F – 140°F); resolution: 0.1°C, or 0.1°F; accuracy: ± 1°C
Humidity range: 1% ~ 99%; resolution: 1%; accuracy: ± 5%
Barometric pressure range: 300 – 1,100 hPa (8.85 – 32.5 inHg); accuracy: ± 5 hPa; 0.1 hPa (0.01 inHg)
GQ-GMC-500+ Twin Tube Geiger Counter Radiation Detector:
- Radiation Detection: Beta, Gamma and X-Ray .
- Detection Dose Range: 0 ~ 42500uSv/h
- Detection CPM Range: 0 ~ 982980 CPM
- Detectable Energy Range: 0.1~3.0 MeV